If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, you need the immediate assistance of a criminal defense lawyer. He/she can explain your rights in all stages of the legal process and help make the difference between a reduced plea bargain or dismissal and a jail sentence. You need someone fighting for your rights that has the ability to see certain arguments and factors that can secure the best possible outcome for your case.
The best criminal defense attorney will have experience in handling a variety of criminal cases, including felonies, misdemeanors, drug charges, white collar crimes, and many other state and federal crimes. He/She has many jobs. Not only will calls be made to witnesses in your defense but will be then cross-examining any witnesses that the prosecution puts forward, your criminal defense attorney may also:
- Work with the prosecutor to negotiate a plea bargain that often reduces the potential sentence or eliminate some or all of the charges brought against you.
- Resolve a good sentencing program for your unique situation.
- Know important legal rules and regulations that are often buried within laws. For example, a search of your car if you are pulled over may or may not be lawful considering the 4th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- Gather evidence and statements from witnesses that may be called by the prosecution.
- Hire investigators that will dissect the alleged crime and witnesses that the prosecution is going to call to the stand. Often there is evidence found that can make the witness’s testimony less believable that will only help your case.
- Hire expert witnesses that will present evidence that will show your innocence or rebut evidence that the prosecution presents.
- Understand and make sense of the subtleties, ebbs, and flows of a criminal trial that can make the difference between winning and losing your case.
Additionally, the experienced criminal defense attorney should have a good presence and respect in the courts. The more respect the attorney has, the better the chance of negotiating with the judge to win critical motions and get rulings in your favor.
The Bottom Line: Hiring a skilled and accomplished attorney is the best decision you can make. The right lawyer protects your rights, helps you navigate through a complex legal system, and ensures that you achieve the best possible result. Zealous advocacy on behalf of the accused is absolutely necessary for the proper functioning of our criminal justice system. If you are a loved one has been accused of a crime, hire the best attorney possible. Call me right away. 513.260.2099